The Alpaca Yarn Co.
made in Peru
Classic Alpaca is a premium quality, ultra soft, Peruvian superfine alpaca yarn in double knit weight. It is suitable for any kind of hand/machine knitting and crochet projects: sweaters and accessories, colourful Fair Isle magnum opuses, next-to-the-skin men's and baby articles. Note that alpaca fiber is lanolin free, therefore it is hypoallergenic. Most people that are allergic or sensitive to wool can wear alpaca garments.
FYI: There are approximately 40 alpacas on the Alpaca Yarn Company's farm in Pennsylvania. They are sheared for fleece, or the fiber is sourced in Peru. Classic Alpaca is millspun and is dyed in sophisticated solid colours in Peru. It is dyed exceptionally well, no flaws in the colour occur during the wash. Classic Alpaca Baby is a finer grade Peruvian alpaca yarn - pure Baby Alpaca. It has a lower micron count (20-23) that makes it even softer to the touch (superfine alpaca has 23-27 micron count).
* Tip from the manufacturer: Try to avoid knots when working with alpaca, knitting with the tail and the new yarn together for several stitches, leaving a bit of a the tail inside your work - that seems to hold very well. As it is known, alpaca yarns don't hold a knot very well. This has more to do with the properties of alpaca: smoother scales and a silkier feel that causes this.
FYI: Alpaca Fleece has some unique attributes:
• widest range of natural colours: 22 recognized colours with over 250 shades, from white to fawn, all the shades of brown, greys, rose-greys and black
• the second to mohair strongest animal fibre
• warmer than wool
• non-greasy fleece, this gives it a high yield after processing: usually 85-90% versus 45-75% for sheep's wool.
Alpaca Fiber Micron Counts Chart:
• Royal Baby or Ultrafine - less than 20 microns;
• Baby or Superfine - 20-23 microns;
• Fine - 23-27 microns;
• Medium or Adult - 27-31 microns;
• Adult or Strong - 31-35.9 microns;
• Coarse - more than 36 microns.
* Similar yarn: Baby Alpaca Aran, Swizzle, Eco Alpaca, Alpaca 60
FIBRE:100% Alpaca Superfine
YARN WEIGHT: Double Knit
TENSION: 10x10cm (4"): 20 sts/ 24 rows,
5.5 sts + 1"
NEEDLES: 4 mm (US No.6)
LENGTH: approx. 99 m / 110 yards
SKEIN WEIGHT: 50g
Shade Cards »
Price (CAD): $7.99
IN STOCK: 100 Natural White, 206 Camel (10 skeins), 207 Boston Beige (23 skeins), 401 Light Grey (17 skeins), 410 Chocolate (8 skeins), 1400 Forest Green (10+4 skeins), 1407 Araucana (19 skeins), 1415 Sour Apple Heather (6 skeins), 1430 Spring Leaf (8 skeins), 1606 Robin Egg (18 skeins), 1626 Cobalt Blue (6 skeins), 1628 Marine (9 skeins), 1630 Periwinkle (10 skeins), 1636 Forget-me-not (6 skeins), 1808 Purple Haze Heather (19 skeins), 1810 Dark Purple (9 skeins), 1821 Brambleberry (18 skeins), 1822 Lilac (10 skeins), 2019 Petal Pink, 2055 Cranberry (10+2 skeins), 2201 Burnt Sienna (20+3 skeins), 2213 Cinnamon (10+6 skeins), 2215 Coral Heather (9 skeins), 2250 Goldenrod (9 skeins), 2406 Amber (6 skeins), 2407 Lemon Chiffon (10 skeins);
Request colour description or quantity »
The Alpaca Yarn Co. Yarns Index »
JACQUARD JACKET © BURDA TRICOT Hiver 2015, designer: Daniéle Dietrich, yarns: Elle Tricote Numero 26 and Galet et Airelles, Lang Baby Alpaca and Merino 200, Stacy Charles Crystal
Patterns suitable for Classic Alpaca:
ALPACA JACKET AND LEGWARMERS © BURDA TRICOT Automne 2011, designer: Monica Haas,
yarn: Lanartus Alpaca Fein [100% Superfine Alpaca]
Patterns for Classic Alpaca from the manufacturer:
Classic Alpaca Poncho |
Classic Alpaca Pullover
Garment Care: dry clean or hand wash in cold water with woolwash no rinse, baby shampoo or mild soap, dry flat. Iron cool.
Classic Alpaca Shade Cards »
Price (CAD): $15.99 / set of 3